Summer’s Over, Skin Protection and Monitoring Shouldn’t Be
Summer’s Over, Skin Protection and Monitoring Shouldn’t Be, Skin Cancer Awareness is a Year Round Activity.
Skin cancer is on the rise. In fact, there are more new cases of skin cancer than breast, prostate, lung and colon cancers combined. Skin cancer is a year round concern and the end of summer doesn’t mean skin protection and monitoring should end. Regardless of the season it’s important to use sunscreen daily, wear wide brimmed hats and clothing to protect the skin and find shade when possible. Limiting exposure to the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays can help you prevent skin cancer. Another tool for managing your skin cancer risk is consistent monitoring of you skin or skin mapping. Creating a map of your skin allows you to track changes in spots and moles over time, catching these changes early can be life saving. Perform a skin self-assessment and make a skin map for yourself and each family member.
Forefront Dermatology Tips For Assessing and Mapping Your Skin:
- Assess your body from head to toe, documenting moles, brown spots and skin lesions on your personal skin map.
- The American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) offers a free body mole map you can use to document your skin on a regular basis.
- Carefully examine your body, front and back, in a mirror. Lift your arms and your hair. Check the back of your legs and arms.
- Check the top of your hands, palms, top of your feet, soles of your feet, between your toes and don’t forget your nails.
- You can use a small hand mirror for better visibility and a blow dryer to help examine your scalp.
- Having a spouse or partner help with the difficult to see areas improves the skin assessment.
- Repeat this process with your children; teach them to bring any new moles or marks to your attention.
When caught early, skin cancer is highly treatable. You are the first line of defense against skin cancer, both from a skin protection and skin monitoring perspective. If you have a suspicious mole or just want help with that initial skin assessment, contact the expert team at Forefront Dermatology, we offer state of the art skin cancer treatment in Cedar Rapids, Iowa as well as treatment in Michigan, Wisconsin and Indiana. Together we can keep you and your skin healthy. Click here to request an appointment online or find a dermatologist near you to schedule an appointment.
About Forefront Dermatology
Forefront Dermatology is the best dermatology practice in the United States with numerous convenient locations. We diagnose and treat skin cancer and all diseases of the skin, hair and nails; such as acne, warts, rashes, rosacea, skin cancer, psoriasis, eczema, and mole and cyst removal. With a diverse group of dermatologists, we are able to provide patients timely access to a diverse collection of expertise, such as Mohs micrographic skin cancer surgery, dermatopathology and pediatric dermatology. In addition to our medical expertise, our experienced dermatologists also offer the latest cosmetic procedures to help revitalize and rejuvenate your skin, such as cosmetic filler treatments with Dysport, Juvederm and Radiesse as well as Botox. We also offer a wide variety of chemical peels that allow us to tailor a treatment that is right for your specific skin condition. Your skin is the largest organ of the body, protecting you from many environmental stresses. Leave it to our team of experts and the best dermatology in your neighborhood to help keep your skin healthy and looking its best. We encourage you to browse our website for information on our locations, dermatologists and treatment options. Did you like this post? Please leave a comment below. Join our online communities on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn.