5 Tips for the Perfect Fall Skin Care Routine
November is National Healthy Skin month and it’s a great time to reconsider how you handle your skin care routine as the temperatures continue to drop. Here are the top 5 tips from Dr. Victoria Negrete, board-certified dermatologist with Forefront Dermatology, to keeping your skin healthy as the seasons change.
1. Continue to Wear Sunscreen – Sunscreen may be the last thing you think about as the days continue to shorten, but in truth it needs to be applied year-round, not just during the summer months. The sun’s UV rays are still powerful enough in the winter months to cause skin damage. At minimum, apply a moisturizer containing SPF30.
2. Seek out Healthy Foods – With holiday season in full swing, our lives are surrounded by sweets and treats every corner we turn. It is important to maintain a healthy diet to keep your skin’s health in check. Eating a diet that is rich in Omega 3s, whole grains and vitamins is essential to maintaining your skin’s natural glow. Find balance to the sweets by consuming plenty of fruits, vegetables and lean proteins.
3. Don’t Forget Your Lips – At a time of the year where we cover up our skin from the cold, our lips take the brunt of the cold, wind and sun exposure. To prevent chapped and sore lips from ruining your holiday season, carry an SPF lip balm with you and apply generously throughout the day.
4. Keep Your Skin Moist – Your skin needs to stay hydrated in order to stay healthy. We have lost the “natural” moisturizer known as Mother Nature’s humidity so it is important to supplement with a whole body moisturizer. Apply a moisturizing cream morning and night and as needed throughout the day. Find a shower body wash that includes a moisturizer if you are short on time.
5. Check Your Stress – The holiday season can mean increased stress levels for many. From holiday planning, family, shopping, you name it stresses can find their way into our lives. Unfortunately, stress is a huge contributor to skin problems like acne and wrinkles. If you find your stress levels increasing, find a way to relax. For some it may be taking a walk or reading a book, and others it may be enjoying a bubble bath. Find what works for you and make sure to incorporate it into your week.
If you are struggling with psoriasis or other skin issues and don’t know where to turn, the skin health experts at Forefront Dermatology are ready to help. To find the Forefront dermatologist nearest you, visit the locations page today.